Friday, June 29, 2007

Earth As Art Competition







This competition is open to anyone in Years 7-9. The idea is to view the earth as a piece of art and create either a ''geosquish'' or a ''Google-art-earth''. You can submit one geosquish and one Google-art-earth picture. You have the summer holidays to complete complete this. The best attempts will be displayed as part of an exhibition in the New Building Foyer, and there are some exciting prizes to be won.

How do I Geosquish?

I got the geosquish idea from here (where you can also see examples of Geosquishing just so you know what it is).

Steps:
1. Take a picture of somewhere you visit this summer try to make it interesting and original. (Its important to remember to geosquish someone OR something in the picture).
2. Upload the image to Flickr Motivator tool.
3. Add a title and maybe a caption.
4. Download and save your finished product to your computer.
5. Bring your picture into school on USB or disc. Or you can email it to me at the start of September at my school email address.

Can you do better than my China-sea attempt? I imagine so!
How do I create a Google-art-earth picture?

I got this idea from from a teacher I used to work with. Cheers Noel! He found the original idea here

1. Open Google Earth (if you have it or download it) , or try using the NASA Our Earth as Art site:
2. Browse around until you find a spectacular, original image and place.
3. Make a screenshot. (Cntrl + Print Screen), or Google images allows you to do this.
4. Crop the image if necessary - you could paste it into picture-manager.
5. Again upload the image to the Flickf Motivator Tool
6. Add a geographical title and maybe a caption.
7. Download and save your finished product to your computer.
8. Bring your photograph to me at the start of September on USB or disc. Or email it to my school email at the start of September.

I created the Pendle Hill one and 'stole' the Ganges Valley image. If you can make your pictures mean something to you, you are more likely to win!

Useful resource:
Google map with some of the images on

Labels: